Lugnut

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Germans. I've heard things about them but have tried to withhold judgement until I've seen it all first hand.

I've been dealing with the German FIFA World Cup ticketing organization lately trying to work out a problem with tickets. I was awarded one ticket to the USA - Ghana match at the World Cup this summer. Then, a few weeks ago, someone contacted me asking if I was interested in his tickets since he would not be able to go. He had three sets of tickets that included the three first round matches and the second round match if we make it that far.

The problem is that I need to offload my Ghana ticket before I can receive one of the ticket sets. The online ticket system only allows one ticket per match per person. FIFA has set up a transfer and resale portal for those who have tickets they don't want or can't use - people like me, in fact. But there is a complicated set of rules and procedures in place dictating who and when and why tickets may be transferred. I thought it was all designed to limit the ability of ticket brokers to sell tickets, but maybe not...

I submitted a request to transfer my ticket to a friend. IT was rejected because the reason I gave for the transfer was not good enough. The fact that I need to get rid of one ticket so that four may be transferred to me was not good enough! Worse yet, when I tried to contact customer service via an online form, it bounced with the message, "this address does not accept incoming messages." WTF?

This all comes after a process of months of signing up for ticket sale lotteries online, faxing applications, FedExing packages, and crossing fingers to get tickets in the first place. I feel like after all of the trouble I have gone through, a mere ticket transfer should be the least of my worries.

I've spoken with a few people who have gone to Germany or lived there and they all agree that the Germans are strict about the rules. I have German ancestry. I drive a German car. I follow rules. I was looking forward to going to Germany as a sort of return to my roots. But I am having second thoughts about the Germans. It seems like they have rules for the sake of having rules. I'm planning a trip to their country, where I will spend a lot of money on lodging and beer and trains and crap. They need it, no doubt. But some fascist in customer service rejected my ticket transfer and put my entire trip in jeopardy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home