Lugnut

Monday, March 26, 2007

To All the Girls I've Loved Online Before

It was something like two years ago that I appeared in a feature in a women's magazine called Jane Magazine. The feature was about single men you would not mind taking to meet your parents or something. They had a web site set up where I went and answered a few questions about myself and uploaded a picture. I didn't know for sure at the time what they were going to do with the information, but I figured it was for something like that.

I first heard about the article when a receptionist at my place of work exclaimed to me as I walked by, "you're in my magazine!" Over the following few weeks, I would get emails from various women, starting from US addresses and then the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, in that order. Many of the messages were from women looking for a husband, but I got one from a local writer who wanted to meet for drinks. We did, and she was cool, but nothing came of it.

I thought I had received the last of the messages about a year ago when I got something from a Nigerian woman, but a week ago I got another message. This on was from a Filipino woman and she wrote a long message about herself and how she would like to get to know me. How bizarre, two years after the original publication people are still finding copies of that thing.

All told, I would estimate that I got about 30 messages from women who read about me in the magazine. I responded to a few of them until I figured out they were mostly unsatisfied with themselves and didn't really have a lot to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home